Adding Events, News & Opportunities
Staff, Students and other community members with rights can add events, news items and opportunities to the website by either clicking on the + Add Update button in the left hand sidebar or by going to the menu option.
The type of information you enter and how it will be displayed on the website is dependent on the category you choose. Here are the three categories:
- News: this is simply a news item that will appear in the top section of the front page of the website. These items will also automatically be placed in the draft of the coming week's email newsletter. Additionally, if a date is associated with the new - it can be placed in here and will show up in the on the front page as well as the full calendar.
- Only an Event: if you simply want to add an event to a calendar but it does not need a separate listing with more information as either a News Item or Opporutnity. This is a quick way to add an item to just the and the calendar.
- Opportunities This allows staff to enter iternships, summer jobs and other opportunities for the student. These opportunities will be displayed in up to three ways.
- Front page of the website in the bottom half - a list of the latest opportuniites.
- In the Opportunity Table
- If there is a due date involved for applying, this can be noted and it will show up in the calendar.
Few other comments:
- If you add a Featured Image it will show up in at the top of the post on the webpage - looks nice. There are several standard ones up there.
Outside organizations can submit an opportunity for our students through the website. This process has the following steps:
- User submits an opportunity via this form. This is accessible via a button that says on the home page of the SciMaTech website.
- The form requires a title, description, pathway and contact information. The user can also provide a general timeframe for the opportunity, opportunity type, grades eligible, due date and application link if it requires the student to apply. The organization can also request to be contacted prior to the opportunity being posted.
- After the form has been submitted - it will be rerouted to the appropriate teacher for review. Any forms that do not have a pathway checked will be sent to Ms. Adewoye.
- Teachers will receive an email like the one below:
- Click on the link in the email and it will take you to a web page like below:
- There are 2 kludgy things in the process. This is the first one - click on the link at the bottom. This will take you to an editable form like below:
- If everything looks okay - click on the Yes, add to Opportunity Table at the bottom of the form.
- You will then be taken to a new entry for our Opportunity Table with the fields pre-filled from the previous form. Here you can edit any of the information, add an image, etc. With one notable exception which is kludgy thing #2. Please click Opportunities for the Category field and then all the data will appear.
- Update and save this form and then the opportunity will be added to the front page of the website.
- And added to the Opportunity Table which the students can see.
This table is accessible via the Opportunities menu. Students can view all the current opportunities sorted by application due date.
- If the student clicks on the Title - they will see the full description of the opportunity.
- They can access the application process by clicking on the Apply link.