Apply Today! UDC-CC 5th Annual Apple Swift Coding & Robotics Camp – Free Camp from June 26th – August 4th
The University of the District of Columbia Community College (UDC-CC), in collaboration with the Apple Corporation and the District’s Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE), invites motivated D.C. middle school, rising 9th graders, and high school students to apply for our six-week, 5th Annual Apple Swift Coding & Robotics Camp! UDC is a Host Employer for the Mayor Marion S. Barry Summer Youth Employment Program (MBSYEP). Through UDC, the camp is now available for selection by MBSYEP participants!
Beginning Monday, June 26th through Friday, August 4th, Monday-Friday from 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM, the Coding & Robotics Camp will feature rigorous individual and group project work, but it will also be fun! Using UDC-CC’s virtual WebEx platform, the Apple Swift Coding & Robotics Camp will be a creative and productive way to reinforce computer fundamentals and expertise.
- The Coding & Robotics Camp will also be an opportunity for students to “try out” computer programming and applications development, encouraging potential career paths in information technology!
- On Fridays, campers will meet in-person at the Lamond-Riggs Campus (formerly Bertie Backus) to engage face-to-face with campers and experience robotics first-hand. Imagine, campers will create new coding applications designed to help local community nonprofit groups address citywide needs. As a major takeaway, students will make new friends as they work to develop and implement strategies for solving problems!
- Project groups will include students with all levels of experience and expertise, so students of all levels of Apple Swift Coding & Robotics expertise — from beginners to experienced — are encouraged to apply.
- Students will be taught by UDC faculty and staff.
- It is an opportunity of a lifetime, so please encourage your students to apply! Enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis, and limited to 25 students. So, apply early! The application is now open and will close on Monday, June 5, 2023.
Attend a mandatory in-person orientation on Monday, June 26, 2023, at the Van Ness Campus (MBSYEP participants only);
• Attend camp in-person at the Lamond-Riggs Campus on Fridays;
• Have uninterrupted computer and Internet access during all class sessions at home;
• Attend all classes, without distraction, and complete all assignments on time;
• Participate wholeheartedly in both individual and group project activities; and
• Participate in the Camp Showcase on the last week of camp. The date for the showcase is to be determined.
Only motivated students are encouraged to apply. More detailed computer specifications are included in the Camp application. UDC will lend each camper an Apple iPad, preloaded with software that students will use for the Camp, robot, and accessories. Equipment is to be picked up from the Lamond-Riggs Campus by appointment on Thursday, June 22, 2023, and Friday, June 23, 2023. They are also to be returned to UDC, in working condition, on the last day of camp.
We look forward to seeing your students at our 5th Annual Apple Swift Coding & Robotics Camp this June 2023!