First, before we talk about how to modify our content, let's discuss the Dashboard. Really, this is just WordPress name for the interface by which you can access the back end of your site. The Dashboard is where you build your site including adding posts, menus, pages, users,events and more.
Before you can do anything - you need to login! There are two ways to do this:
- On your site, click on the login link in the top right corner.
- You can also access it directly by adding “/wp-admin” to your URL like this : https://scimatech.org/wp-admin/
Accessing the Dashboard
After you login, the homepage will be refreshed and there will be a few changes. The first one is a small but critical change. At the top of the screen you'll see a black toolbar. Let's talk about the various parts of this toolbar.
- SciMaTech Academy - if you hover over this - you'll see four options. The primary one you will use - is Dashboard. The other three options are contained within the Dashboard so you can access them either by clicking on Dashboard and then finding the appropriate menu or by going directly to them here.
- Dashboard: gives you access to the main back end of WordPress
- Themes: access to setting and changing the theme
- Widgets: allows you to move widgets around - widgets are small elements that can be placed in different parts of the layout of your website. For example in the graphic above, both the "Search this website..." box and the Admin menu are widgets which are placed in the Header Right section of the page.
- Menus: This allows you to access the menus that are used in the website. From here, you can change menu items, add menu items, remove menu items or even create or add whole new menus. Currently the website has only one menu which is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
- Customize: allows you to customize the theme. Essentially just a shortcut for Appearance -> Customize from the Dashboard.
- New: as shown in the image below - this creates a drop down menu which allows you to create a new post, media, page and more. Generally speaking, you will use this the most to create a new post.
- Edit Page: allows you to directly edit the web page that you are viewing. This opens up the editor for this page without having to go through the Dashboard.
- Page Builder: If a page was created using Page Builder - you can click this link to edit it directly via Page Builder. Note: you can tell if a page was create using Page Builder if there is a small green dot next to the Page Builder menu item as in the graphic below:
If the page was created using the normal editor - there will be a small gray dot as shown below. In that case, simply click on Edit Page to edit.
- Copy to a New Draft: this allows you to copy the current posts or page to a new post or page to work on. However, you should only use this if you are pretty comfortable with WordPress!
- Howdy,username - let's you know that you are logged in! You can also click on this to edit your profile
Accessing the Page to Edit
There are two ways to access the page you wish to edit.
- First - from the website, navigate to the page you wish to edit. There is a top black menu bar. It is shown below. You'll notice there are two options. Edit Page is what you would click if it was built the normal way. But, do you see how there is a green dot next to Beaver Builder? This means this page was built using that so to edit it - click the Beaver Builder option.
- Or access the back end by hovering over Lido Beach House in the black administrative menu at the top of the screen and click on Dashboard. Click on Pages to see a list of All Pages. Select the page you wish to edit.
- The page will be displayed. All of your pages have been created using a tool called PageBuilder by Beaver Builder which allows us to create more complicated webpages that still allow those who do not know HTML/CSS to update.
- If the page is displayed in the standard form such as when you edit a post and the Text Editor tab is the selected tab (see below) you can edit just as you would with a post.
- If however, the Page Builder tab is the default along with the message below you must click on the blue Launch Page Builder button
Using Beaver Builder
This means that you need to edit it in Page Builder - if you click on the Text Editor tab and attempt to do it the normal way - the layout will get all wonky. If this does happen - don't freak out - it is easy to fix: simply reopen the page with Page Builder and save!
So, click on the Launch Page Builder button. You will see the page displayed with a column along the right side like this:
Next, hover your mouse over the various areas of the page and you will see boxes appear around the content areas with a menu of icons for various tools in the upper right corner.
In the example above, you will see a dark gray toolbar - that is the row that contains various elements. This one contains a text element and a map element. The blue toolbar inside it is for the text box element. Rows can have multiple columns inside of them and those columns can contain multiple elements like headings, images, text boxes, posts, and other fun things. You can edit rows or columns or elements by clicking on the Wrench icon.
Let's cover a few of the basics below. But first, one last thing. When you are done editing the page - you can click the Done button in the upper right corner. This will give you options to save or discard your changes.
It is relatively easy to change the basic text on the website. Simply go into Beaver Builder mode and then hover over the element you want to change. Click on the wrench icon and you will see something like this:
You can directly edit the text in the box and add styling using the toolbar. Click the Save button when you are done!
You can also do more advanced editing using the other two tabs. The Style tab, shown below allows you to set the color of the text as well as font type and other fun things.
The Advanced tab, show below, allows you to set the margins around the text. The other features are more advanced so that should be the only one you are changing.